Thursday 14 February 2013

What kind of Institution might distribute your media product and why?



Essay form:


There are four main companies that form the oligopoly. These are Bauer Media, ICP Media, InterMedia and Conde Nast.

The first distributor that I considered on publishing my magazine is Bauer Media; this is a large German publishing company in Hamburg and publishes over 282 magazines. This company publishes many magazines such as: Q magazine, Empire and Kerrang. Due to them not publishing a magazine that has connections with the genre of my magazine I believe there is a possibility that this company would distribute my magazine. Not only because they don’t distribute a genre like mine, however they can also break into a new market of magazines for them.

Another publishing company I have thought would be a possible distributor is IPC, which is one of the largest publishing companies which publish a variety of magazines such as: men’s interest, music, TV guides and many more. IPC also publish one of the biggest music magazines, if not the biggest music magazine; NME. I believe that my magazine again can become successful with this company, as like Bauer Media they do not distribute a magazine like mine, however they have the experience with distributing big music magazines such as NME.

InterMedia is another publisher that distributes many magazines, however the biggest magazine in my interest that they publish is Vibe magazine. This is company would not want to distribute my magazine as I was influenced and inspired by Vibe magazine a lot when producing my magazine. So InterMedia would not be interested in distributing a magazine that is very much like a magazine they already distribute (Vibe) and they would not gain anything from distributing my magazine.

The last company that makes up the oligopoly is the publishing company Conde Nast. They are a very well known company that publishes one of the biggest, most read magazine; Vogue. As they publish one of the biggest magazines in the world, I believe that they could be a good option as they have experience with getting magazine heard by the world. However even though they produce big name magazines such as Vogue, I believe they do not have that much experience with distributing music magazines, which could result in me not choosing this company.

Overall I believe that the best company to publish my magazine is IPC. This is because not only my magazine will benefit from them distributing my magazine however the company would benefit. This is because they do not publish a magazine like mine, which means they can enter a new music genre market. It will also mean I won’t have any inner competition as there is not other magazine like mine that IPC are publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment